Lobster Mac and Cheese
This Lobster Mac and Cheese will add a splash of Atlantic Lobster to this classic dish for a touch of class and a delicious meal.
1 (16 oz) package elbow macaroni
1 (2 lb) lobster, split
2 tbsp butter
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, chopped
10 black peppercorns
2 cups milk
5 tbsp butter
5 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 lb shredded Gruyere cheese
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Romano cheese
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the macaroni, and return to a boil.
- Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.
- Reserve about 2 cups of the hot pasta water, then drain the pasta in a colander set in the sink, and rinse with cold water to cool. Set aside.
- Return the pasta water to the large pot, and place the lobster halves in the pot, cut-side up.
- Return the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and steam the lobster just until the meat firms and turns opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the lobster and allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove the meat and cut into bite sized pieces. Reserve the shells.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes; scrape the onions into a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the reserved lobster shells, garlic, shallots, peppercorns, and milk into the saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 5 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the milk through a mesh sieve.
- Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. 15. Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and smooth, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir the Gruyere, Cheddar, and Romano cheeses into the thickened milk mixture until melted and smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the reserved lobster, onions, and macaroni.
- Pour the macaroni into a 4 quart casserole and smooth the top. Sprinkle evenly with the panko crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the sauce is bubbly, and the top is golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories930
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 64g 128%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.